What are your reading and writing routines like at home with your student? How do you communicate to each other the importance of reading and writing?
One way to establish these routines at home is to choose one thing that you both do together at the same time of day. This could be:
- Reading a bedtime story at night
- Reading the newspaper headlines in the morning
- Writing a note back and forth about how your day went after school and work
- Writing the grocery list together and finding each item at the store
- Making messages out of magnetic letters or words on the fridge
- Reading road signs and advertisements while driving or taking the bus