Dates: Winter/Spring: January 5th-June 9th
Location: Jackson, Wyoming
Schedule: Monday-Thursday 7:45 am – 5:45 pm
- Goal: AmeriCorps will work with TLC staff to deliver K readiness and transition programs, which are designed to provide additional support for at risk students and their families. The AmeriCorps will be responsible for creating curriculum, building resources, managing parent resources, implementing instruction and collaborating with Early Literacy Coordinator.
- About Teton Literacy Center Programs:
- Mission: Changing lives through the power of Literacy
- Family Literacy Program: Parent education through English as a Second Language or Adult Basic Education classes, Parent workshops, Parent and Child together time and Literacy Lab Kindergarten Readiness program.
- Literacy Lab Kindergarten Readiness Program – The majority of the children and families we serve are culturally and linguistically diverse with Spanish being their primary language. Therefore, we have designed the program based on a rich history of theory and research on emergent literacy and English language learning and supporting English learners.
- Enrichment Program- Afterschool Theme-Based Clubs providing recreational and academic enrichment support through curriculum developed by TLC staff
- Support and enhance high quality effective Pre-Kindergarten curriculum development and implementation for students.
- Support and enhance Kindergarten transition, curriculum development and implementation for Kindergarteners.
- Learn teaching pedagogy and student management techniques through practical experience and direct mentoring.
- Support lead teacher in classroom management.
- Lead classroom set up and maintenance.
- Conduct, document and report on student assessments and classroom observations.
- Support instructor with student needs as they arise during instruction.
- Plan for and instruct small groups and/or support workshops, as assigned.
- Enhance the STEM connection to Literacy Skills in curriculum development and lesson planning.
- Ensure participants’ safety during all instructor-led activities of the program.
- Serve as a member of The Teton Literacy Teaching Team.
- Develop curriculum material and systems in order to increase effectiveness of future programming.
- Support in the planning and implementation of fundraising events.
Characteristics essential for AmeriCorps Volunteers at TLC:
• Passion for working with children, education and service.
- Spanish skills preferred, but not required
• Ability and willingness to take initiative, solve problems and multi-task effectively and with humor.
• Ability to co-facilitate both large and small groups of kids in Pre-k and K students.
• Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Training in educational pedagogy and leadership at the Teton Science Schools and Teton Literacy Center
- Room and board at the Teton Science School
- Segal Education Award of $2,907.50 from AmeriCorps upon successful completion
- Must be a US citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the United States
- Must have obtained a high school diploma/equivalency certificate
- Must be 21 years of age with valid driver’s license
- Have current CPR and AED for Adult and Child and First Aid Certification that is valid through June 22, 2017 (no online certification)
- Submit a background check
Transportation: Independent means of transportation from Teton Science Schools to Teton Literacy Center strongly encouraged.
How to Apply: contact Adam Seery at email@example.com. Application materials include cover letter and resume. Selected applicants must undergo an interview and background check.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply. This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or in most instances, religion.