- 2.6 months of math skills.
- 2 months of reading skills.
- Multiple grade levels of abilities.
- Over time, summer learning loss can create a performance gap of two to five years by high school.
- It also costs teachers and students time the following school year.
- 4 to 6 weeks: Average time it takes to re-teach students the lost material in the fall.
- And the summer slide overwhelmingly affects kids from lower income families more than others. By the end of fifth grade, students from lower-income families are often 2.5 years behind their peers.
However, there is hope. Check out the info-graphic below for ideas on how to help your student avoid the summer slide!